Festive Fridays: Pick the Perfect Pumpkin
Fall is upon us and Halloween is just around the corner! It’s time to hit up your favorite pumpkin patch and get ready to create the perfect Jack-o-lantern or set up a lovely display on your front steps for everyone to enjoy. Everyone has their own ideas about what size and shape make a great pumpkin for decorating, but here are a few tips that will help you choose the best pumpkin in the patch:
- Bigger isn’t always better – Having the biggest pumpkin on the block might be important to you, but if you’re carving, medium sized pumpkins are suggested.
- Check the weight – Try to find a pumpkin that feels sturdy and heavy for its size.
- Inspect the stem – Look for stems that still have a little green, indicating they were recently harvested. Make sure the stem is firmly attached.
- Check for damage – Pumpkins with cracks, soft spots, mold, and other damage should be avoided to prevent early rotting. Also be sure that there are no bugs invading your pumpkin but checking carefully for holes.
- Keep things level – Make sure that your pumpkin will sit flat when carving or while on display. Level bottomed pumpkins are the best for decorating.
- Know your decorating plan – If you have an idea of what you’re going to carve or how you are going to decorate with your pumpkin, you can look for the perfect size and shape to fit your design.
Happy pumpkin picking, everyone!
Want some fun pumpkin decorating ideas? Check our Pinterest board!