How often do we take the time to do something “just because”? Most days, we are so focused on what our commitments and responsibilities that we don’t have much leftover for doing things for no particular reason. August 27th is Just Because Day and it’s the perfect excuse to spread a little kindness and love, just because you can. Now I’m not one who does a lot of celebrating on made up “holidays” but this is definitely a concept that I can get behind!
Try doing a few of these acts of kindness with your family on Just Because Day! You’ll not only brighten the day of someone else, but you’ll enjoy the amazing feeling that comes with making others happy.
- Write a letter or send a card to a loved one far away.
- Bring dinner to an elderly neighbor and keep them company while they eat.
- Bake a cake for a new family that has moved into the neighborhood or invite them to join you for dinner.
- Hold a yard sale or lemonade stand and donate the proceeds to your favorite cause.
- Offer to babysit and give a single parent a break for the day.
- Pick up someone’s check in a restaurant or drive-through.
- Do yardwork or gardening for a friend or neighbor who struggles physically.
- Load groceries into someone’s car at the grocery store.
- Pack and distribute care packages to the homeless.
- Volunteer at a shelter or soup kitchen.
- Take stuffed animals to the local fire, police, and EMS services for children in emergencies.
- Raid the dollar store for books, card games, coloring books, and crayons, then deliver to the pediatric wing of your local hospital.
- Give thank you cards and maybe a small gift card to local emergency responders.
- Make a special treat to thank a teacher or volunteer coach.
- Deliver flowers to the residents of a nursing home or assisted living facility.
- Clean up trash at a local park or playground.
- Write a list of things that you love about someone and share it with them.
- Paint inspirational messages on rocks and leave them around town.
- Surprise a family member by doing their most dreaded chore for them.
The sky is the limit on the things that you can do to bring a smile to the face of someone else. Simply saying thank you or giving a compliment or a kind word to a stranger can make the difference in someone’s day. I hope you’ll join me in performing some acts of kindness for Just Because Day!
Are you going celebrate Just Because Day? What are you and your family planning to do?