Fun Family Memorial Day Ideas
Memorial Day is just around the corner and it’s time for barbecues and family fun! Though there should be time reserved for reflection and remembrance of those who sacrificed all for our country’s freedom, there most certainly should be plenty of celebration of those freedoms, as well. As we kick off the summer with our Memorial Day celebrations, here are a few easy ideas to help inspire you as you plan your events.
- First and foremost, take time out to honor those who died for our freedom. In our Memorial Day post last year, we shared several ideas that you can do with family and friends to honor those who fought and died for our country.
- Modify your potluck! Instead of the traditional BBQ where everyone brings a side and the host provides the main dishes, flip the script and have everyone bring their favorite meat or main dish to cook on the grill.
- Have a cook off! Up the game and turn the first summer cookout into a cook off, with everyone bringing their specialty and copies of the recipe to share. Have everyone vote on their favorite entrée, side dish, or dessert and have some fun novelty prizes for the winners, like a summer fun bucket with a beach towel, cheap sunglasses, sunscreen, or similar items.
- Make homemade ice cream! Nothing says summer to me like the taste of homemade ice cream. Whether you create a selection of flavors for everyone to choose from or just make simple vanilla or chocolate with a variety of topping options, it’ll be a surefire hit!
- Have a fun water party! Open up the pool, visit your favorite water park, or just turn on a sprinkler and have a squirt gun battle. Fun in the sun and splashing around is the perfect way to start off the summer season.
- Forego the party and hit the beach! Take a day trip to bury your toes in the sand or escape to your favorite resort for a long weekend. A little time relaxing by the ocean or lake will help you recharge and get ready for an exciting summer.
Want some fun, patriotic ideas to add a little more fun to your Memorial Day? Check out our Pinterest board!