Prize Update: The following prizes have been generously donated for tonight’s chat.
– FIVE (5) winners will each receive a $50 Visa Gift Card.
– ONE (1) winner will receive a $50 AmEx Gift Card.
– ONE (1) winner will receive a full pass to the Bloggy Moms Conference.
– ONE (1) winner will receive a Full Conference Pass to the Type-A Parent Conference in Charlotte, North Carolina plus the book Mom Blog SEO
– THREE (3) winners will each receive My Trainer Fitness for At Work
– ONE (1) winner will receive a 30 minute phone consultation with Rebecca Scritchfield, RD
More to come!
Two months ago I wrote about the damage that was done to me as a child when people called me fat – to tease, to “encourage,” to hurt and shame. This week I read, shocked, about a new billboard campaign meant to help end childhood obesity, but using shameful words and pictures of and about innocent children to do so. I have teamed up with Mamavation and other communities around the blogosphere to ask that this campaign be pulled and to help raise awareness about the life long damage caused by these sorts of shame campaigns.
I hope to see many of you Friday night at 9:00 p.m. ET for the #Ashamed Twitter Chat with @Bookieboo. The invitation follows…
Mom blogging and health-based communities all over the internet are uniting thisFriday, January 27th from 9-10pm EST to petition the @Strong_4_Life Campaign and the State of Georgia to cease this campaign before it does any more damage to children. The Strong4Life Campaign has purchased billboard ads all over the State of Georgia in hopes to promote a “wake-up call” to Georgian parents about how many children are obese. Unfortunately, they decided to create ads that are so controversial, they are down right offensive and hurtful to children. We think they have gone too far. As a concerned group of moms we recognize that Georgia has a large scale problem with obesity. No one is refuting that. We are refuting however tactics that would inadvertently harm children in the process.
Overweight children in Georgia have been made to feel #Ashamed with these billboards. And furthermore, children of a normal weight are being exposed to very negative representations of overweight children. These negative representations of overweight children are only succeeding in ostracizing them even more, and leaving them open to more attacks. The children these billboards are hoping to help, they are actually harming. Overweight children will be made to feel even more #Ashamed. As mothers and concerned citizens, we are speaking out about this. This is just wrong.
We believe it’s wrong to fight obesity by fighting obese people…especially children. Children are defenseless and cannot fight back on their own. Obese people are not the problem, obesity IS. Campaigns that have a focus on hope, support, and education are far more beneficial to children. Most overweight children already suffer from self esteem issues, which are going to be considerably exasperated by these ads.
Event: Friday, January 27th from 9-10pm EST
Purpose: To protest the Strong4Life Ads in the State of Georgia and chat about obesity and ways to solve problem
Here are some of the main mom blogging communities that have come out against these ads and will be at the chat:
1. Mamavation with Leah Segedie @Bookieboo
2. Resourceful Mommy Media with Amy Lupold Bair @Resourcefulmom
3. Type A Mom with Kelby Carr @Typeamom
4. 5 Minutes for Mom Community with Janice Croze @5minutesformom
5. Anissa Mayhew with Slightly Bent Productions @AnissaMayhew
6. Christine Young with Dates for Diapers @youngmommy
7. Cecily Kellogg with UpperCase Woman @Cecilyk
8. DietsnReview @Dietsinreview
9. Sue O Lear as @Mrsfatass
10. Amy Bellgardt with Mom Spark Media @Momspark
11. Stacie Haight Connerty with Divine Miss Mommy @Stacieinatlanta
12. Lisa Morris Frame with A Daily Pinch @Daily_Pinch
13. Social Media Moms with Kadi Prescott @kadiprescott
14. Bloggy Moms with Tiffany Noth @bloggymoms
15. InspiredRD with Alysa Bajenaru, RD @InspiredRD
16. DrMommyOnline with Dr. Daisy Sutherland @DrMommy
17. SugarjonesTV with Sugar Jones @SugarJones
18. Queen of Spain with Erin Kotecki Vest @QueenofSpain
19. Fitfluential with Kelly Olexa @KellyOlexa
(More to come…)
We will be doing giveaways during the night and updating this post with what they are…
Join us by tweeting this message:
Friday nite moms R joining together in opposition 2 @Strong_4_Life & their irresponsible ads towards kids, http://bit.ly/zA5FCk #Ashamed
If you would like to join us in opposing these ads and asking the Strong 4 Life Campaign to cease harming children with them, sign the linky at http://www.mamavation.com/2012/01/ashamed-twitter-party-and-petition-for-children-in-georgia.html.