“Ensuring that the next generation has access to quality literature and early education is all of our responsibility, and Walmart is committed to doing our part.” – Walmart Foundation President Margaret McKenna
On October 8th, join Walmart and Jumpstart as we Read for the Record! Join us as we read Eric Carle’s The Very Hungry Caterpillar in an attempt to beat the world record for the most people reading the same book on the same day. The goal is to break the 1 million mark and raise not only awareness for childhood literacy but also funds for Jumpstart.
As the official retail partner for Jumpstart, every Walmart store across the country will feature a limited edition copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar on sale for $8. Walmart will be donating the net proceeds from the sale of the book to Jumpstart, one of the nation’s leading non-profits in the field of early childhood education. Jumpstart’s goal is to prepare children so that every child enters school ready to succeed!
How You Can Help:
– Take the Pledge – Join us as we pledge to Read for the Record, promote literacy, and raise money for Jumpstart.
– Donate to the Cause – Learn more about how to donate.
– Buy the Book – Purchase the book at your local Walmart to donate all net proceeds to Jumpstart.
– Playdates with a Purpose – If you’re having a playdate on 10/8, plan to read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and pledge to Read for the Record!
– Tweet with Us Thursday! By joining the party Thursday from 9 to 10 p.m. ET on Twitter and using the hashtag #Jumpstart, you will help us raise awareness about this important campaign.
Prizes: To thank you for your help in spreading the word, Walmart will be awarding one copy of the limited edition The Very Hungry Caterpillar to every 100th tweet using the #jumpstart hashtag beginning at 8 am ET and up to 500 copies. Winners will be contacted.