For many parts of the country, the next two months are the hottest of the year. Sweltering August rolls into muggy September, and mounting electricity bills make you want to move to the snowy north. A couple years ago we applied a dark tint to our sunroom skylights, significantly decreasing the intensity of the sunlight streaming into our home. Little things like this can make a huge difference on both your family’s comfort and your energy bills. Need more ideas? Leslie Press, the Home Expert for Next Day Blinds’, is fortunately here to share with us her top 5 tips on how to beat the heat in your home this summer. Just in the nick of time…
- Go Solar: Did you know that single pane un-shaded windows account for up to 45% of a home’s accumulated heat? All window treatments have energy saving properties, but some are inherently more efficient than others. Solar Sheers are a great choice for addressing energy concerns.
- Dishwasher Woes: Instead of using your dishwasher, which adds to the house temperatures, pull out those rubber gloves and scrub the dishes with cool water instead.
- Air Conditioner Maintenance is Key: Maintaining your air conditioners properly is super important and a great way to maximize efficiency – clean filters often in this heat! If buying a new air conditioner, make sure it is properly sized.
- No One’s Home? You may not realize this, but turning off the lights, air conditioners, and closing all of your shades when leaving a room will keep your room cooler for your return.
- Stay Hydrated, Even Inside the Home: Keep your body cool and hydrated with icy refreshing beverages like cold water or frozen drinks.
The folks at Next Day Blinds have also offered Resourceful Mommy readers a promotional code to use towards updating window treatments in your home this summer! Buy using the code BY0710, readers will receive the following:
- $100 off $1000 or more
- $250 off $2500 or more
- $500 off $5000 or more
Do you have a tip to keep your house and yourself cool during these dog days of summer?