Congratulations to our winner, Heather: My favorite outdoor activity is walking with the kids. The boys carry their light sabers or swords and take out enemy mailboxes, fire hydrants, and light posts along the way. It’s great for their imagination!
While it’s wonderful that many of us used this week to get active starting a garden, playing at the park, and even turning off the television for a week (yikes!!!), it’s important that we promote an active lifestyle in our families year round. Here are some ways to start:
1. Get in the Garden: Teaching your children the love of gardening at a young age will lead them to an adulthood filled with time outdoors, planting and growing with their own children. To get started, enter to win an Oasis Complete Gardening System from Backyard Botanical and join Lisa Singer tomorrow night on Twitter as we chat about gardening.
2. Get out and Play: Recently SUBWAY partnered with the National Institute of Health to launch the We Can! program (Ways to Enhance Children’s Activity and Nutrition). To promote an active and healthy lifestyle, SUBWAY has created awesome P.E.P. Rally kits (Play more, Eat right, Push away the screen) that include sidewalk chalk, jump ropes, footballs, a SUBWAY gift card and more!
Enter to win your very own P.E.P. Rally Kit by commenting on this post with your favorite outdoor activity! Contest ends Wednesday, April 29th at noon eastern.
Want more ideas for a great way to play in your own backyard? In honor of National Playground Safety Week, Backyard Leisure is offering a fantastic promotion on their website on their award winning playsets! This offer ends Saturday the 25th, so act quickly!
- To receive 20% off any purchase over $300 (including playsets and gardens!!) enter the code Playsafely
- To receive $150 off of the Dakota playset enter the code Dakota.
You will see the code entry box to the lower left once you add a product to your shopping cart (by clicking Buy Online). Please note that these codes are only valid 4/19 through 4/25.
3. Get Moving! The best way to teach children to live a healthy and active lifestyle is by leading through example. EA Sports recently launched a 30 day challenge with 12 Challengers who will be spending the next month getting fit and turning over a new healthy leaf! This June I will be entering the challenge! To learn more about the kick-off weekend that was recently held in Santa Barbara and to meet the first 12 challengers (including Alison Sweeney from The Biggest Loser), watch the following video. EA Sports Active hits the shelves on May 19th. Will you be taking the challenge with me?